Wednesday, March 9, 2016

CSA lovin'

For a few years now, I can't even remember how long, as long as I've known about CSAs- I've wanted to join one.  For one reason or another it just hasn't happened yet.  Cost, timing, and plain old forgetting about it.  This year I'm determined I won't let the summer slip by without me joining a CSA.

If you don't know what a CSA is, it stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  Basically you pay in to a certain local farmer of your choice, and you get a box of fresh produce every week!  There are tons of different farmers and farming styles to choose from, and they all have slightly different ways of doing things.  Some things that differ from farmer to farmer are the length of the program, payment plans, size of each box, and whether you want a pre-made box (like a mystery box!), or allowing you to choose what specifically goes into your box.  Usually you have to pick your box up every week, and a lot of them have several pick up locations so you can choose which one works best for you.

Avalon Farms featuring yellow barns.
Avalon Farms Homegrown
Last Friday night Mike and I went to one stop of Kalamazoo's Art Hop that hosted a bunch of different farmers talking about their CSA programs.  I was super excited to go, and when we got there I went around the circle like three times grabbing brochures from everyone and listening to their sales pitches (mostly I went around three times because I'm shy and I was hanging back waiting my turn, or just moving on to the next booth, deciding to go back when they were through with who they were talking to at the time.  Whew.).  I think it'd be really really hard to choose one, and thankfully I think I have a way out of having to do so.

Mike's work has teamed up with a farm that can be picked up right at work every week, and I think (hope) that they get a deal on it!  I keep asking Mike to hawk his work email, and I'm ready to pounce when they announce it's time to sign up!  The one his work goes through is called Avalon Farms Homegrown (pictured above).  They weren't at the Art Hop, but at least I know if I miss the sign up for the one through work, I have a ton of fall back plans!  I can't wait for TONS of veggies and fruit!!  I really want to can a bunch too if we have extras (you know, for the zombie apocalypse).

Collard greens at Avalon Farms Homegrown

If you're in the Kalmazoo, Michigan vicinity and are looking for a CSA, here's a list of the farmers that were at the Art Hop I went to, and a few who weren't:

Agropraxis Farm at Tillers International (no website- located in Scotts, MI- email agropraxisfarm@gmail.com)

Have you ever had a CSA?  How did you like it?  Or do you grow your own food (jealous! -I'm a bit lazy, but would love to! ...sommmeday).  Tell me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

let's chat- leave a comment!